Sunday, September 9, 2012

Free to Go

Last month I was in court  for a ticket that I received a few months ago for failing to stop at a stop sign. The thing was I felt I was innocent and I had evidence and pictures to prove it.

Or at least I did before I left the house that morning. That morning I prayed and asked God to help me prove that I was innocent. Then I gathered my evidence of photos and emailed them to my Iphone right before leaving and got in my car to drive to the court house. Half way there I looked at my Iphone and realised that for some reason my evidence had not arrived to my phone and that it would be my word against the police officer that had accused me. Now to be honest I wasn't expecting to prove my innocence as I knew how the system works. But I did want a lesser sentence- I was willing to pay the fine of $130, but everyone knows that with demerit points you keep paying for a lot longer. So I really only wanted to have my sentence reduced and the 3 demerit points taken off. This was my plan but I was willing to plead not guilty if I had to and get a trial.

So I arrive at the court house with a peace about me as I walk in with about eighty other people into courtroom 3M to line up to see the crown attorney. As I stood before the crown attorney she finds my papers and gives me two options- One, plead not guilty and have a trial where if convicted I will pay a fine of $130-$1000 and lose 3 points or option two where I plead guilty to a lesser charge and don’t lose any points and pay the fine of $130.

Now option two sounded really good, it was all I was expecting considering knowing how the system works and everyone before me was striking deals to reduce their sentences.

But something in me said " I'll will plead not guilty and have a trial". As I walked to the back of the courtroom fear began to creep into me and I kept thinking what if I am found guilty then I lose everything. So I did a wise thing, I called for some counsel- as my husband answered the phone I gave him the scenario and asked what he thought I should do. He told me that I should go back and take option two as that was what I had planned to do originally. So I lined back up to change my plea and as I stood there- I heard " woman where is your accuser" I looked around and saw a few police officers that looked familiar to the man that accused me on that sunny day in January, but I couldn’t be sure. So I looked at my paper for the badge number and began to compare #3257 to all of the officers in the room. None of them matched but way at the front of the courtroom was one officer that I could not see his badge number-I couldn’t even see his face, could that be him? Well I wouldn’t know until I got to the front of the line. So I text Wayne to say that I didn’t think the police officer was there and he told me then to stay with my not guilty plea because then they would throw the case out. What could I do? What if it was the police officer at the front? Then I heard again "Woman where are your accusers?"

So finally I reach the front of the courtroom once again to speak to the crown attorney and right before I get there the police officer turns around and I see his badge is #4377, whew was I ever relieved. All fear left me. So I stood again before the crown attorney and asked her to please repeat my choices and as I do not see my accuser I repeat again “I plead not guilty” but this time with some assurance. Wow you would think the ordeal was over, but then I sat in that courtroom for two hours while they called fifty cases before mine and I watched as person after person either took a reduced sentence or had their case thrown out because their police officer was not present in the courtroom. Then I stood up as my name was called case number 21. Then as the crown attorney told the judge that my accuser was not present the judge did a very symbolically thing for me that day. She told me that because no one was there to accuse me that I was free to go. Wow, free to go. I left there with a deep message in my heart and felt I wanted to share it.

John 8: 7-10

So when they continued asking Him, He raised Himself up and said to them, “He who is without sin among you, let him throw a stone at her first.” And again He stooped down and wrote on the ground. Then those who heard it, being convicted by their conscience, went out one by one, beginning with the oldest even to the last. And Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst. When Jesus had raised Himself up and saw no one but the woman, He said to her, “Woman, where are those accusers of yours? Has no one condemned you?” She said, “No one, Lord.” And Jesus said to her, “Neither do I condemn you; go and sin no more.

There is someone who has paid the price for all of my mistakes. He has allowed me to be Free to Go. To go anywhere, free to be me, free to make mistakes, free from trying to prove my innocence, free from my guilt, Wow I am free.

No comments:

Post a Comment