Saturday, December 22, 2012

My Little Pink Pony


So I was in Texas and the year was 2003, I had come there for a major worship conference and the speaker for the session was Jeff Lewis. I remember his name because what he said during that session in the next 45 minutes would change me and my life forever. I was about to have a pivotal moment. What he would share in his short message would become a reality for me in a way that I never imagined.

He began to talk about getting focus in your life and he shared this story about his little daughter. Now Jeff had a 5 year old daughter who he had to get off to school every afternoon right after her lunch. They had a large family and a very large dining room table. She was seated at the end of the table with her lunch in front of her and her special toy which Jeff had purchased for her, a pink My Little Pony. Each time Jeff would come into the room his daughter would be playing and laughing with her pony and not eating her peanut butter sandwich for  lunch. Time was moving along quickly and yet she still had not made a dent in her meal which was untouched in front of her. Jeff would tell her to put the pony down and to please eat her lunch as they would need to get in the car and get to school in a short while. He would come into the room two more times to witness the same scenario happening and repeat the same words again but he was not getting any different response from this 5 year old that was captivated that by her favourite toy. She was galloping the toy along the edge of the table and was not mindful about her lunch or the fact that she would need to get to school soon. So Jeff decided to take a drastic action. He took the little pony and placed it at the far end of the table and told his daughter in a stern voice that when and only when she had finished her lunch could she have her pony back. Well needless to say she quickly became focused and gobbled her lunch down in record time and swiftly grabbed her pony from the far end of the table and skipped to the car in time to arrive to school right before the bell would ring.

He went on to share how so many of us have great difficulty focusing on what is of need and real importance because we are too preoccupied with the pink ponies in our lives. We need to put some distance between us and these ponies to focus our energy and efforts on the things that are of importance and requiring our immediate attention. It was the Fathers pleasure to not only provide pink ponies for us to play with but He had also allotted a special time for this after we have accomplished the assignment or task in front of us.

Wow ! This resonated with every fibre of my being and I began to vibrate this truth into existence. I was a person of great vision and also a multi-tasker with many different things going on all at once. This was my life, not to mention that I was often easily distracted and sometimes would get sidetracked with the latest thing and forget the assignment that was immediate or that had the highest priority. I knew I had to purpose in my heart to change this moving forward to be able to get to my destiny.  My Father had all the pleasures in the world awaiting me at the other end of the table but He had moments in time scheduled for me and I would not be on time if I continued with my play and not stay focused on my assignments.

 Well it would have been a great story if it had just ended there, but God had some more. I arrived home the following week from Texas and a friend had dropped off a bag of items that she had borrowed from me while I had been gone and while I was rummaging through the contents, there in the bottom of the bag  to my utter surprise was a pink My Little Pony. I was stunned, shocked and thought to myself that God just wanted to give me a reminder of the message. I called my girlfriend as I thought she had maybe put the toy in the bag by accident and that it belonged to one of her children and to my surprise after sharing my amazing connection story with her she had no clue about a Pink Pony and said that her children have never owned a Pink Pony. Now I was intrigued. The question became not how did the Pony get in the bag, but why did God want me to have this Pink Pony? Was it to be a reminder to me to stay focused and not to allow distractions to get me off focus? Or was it that I needed to put those pink My Little Ponies in perspective- He enjoyed giving me pleasures as well as keeping me in timing with His plans.

Well for ten years I have had this My Little Pony as my reminder and every time I have looked at it I realign my priorities and get refocused again. So two nights ago I was in a store and there on the shelf in front of me were five My Little Ponies (pink ones) for sale. Needless to say I bought all five as I felt that with the time and season I am entering into, that I needed to place a few more reminders that there is a time and a season for everything. There is a time to play and a time to focus on your assignment. I had to keep my eyes on the prize.

They are strategically placed in places in the home and office where I can visible see them and believe there is a deep message here not just for me but for others that will read this that are birthing a vision or a dream. Stay focused and keep your eyes on your lunch in front of you and there will be plenty of time for you to play with your pony and get to your destination on time.

Charmaine Hinds  December 2012©

No comments:

Post a Comment