Friday, January 18, 2019

Cup of Generational Blessing


This is not any ordinary tea cup. This is a generational blessing cup that was blessed by my 101 year old maternal grandmother. I bought this cup which was handcrafted in England, during a time when I began to collect special tea cups. I loved the intricate design and the flowers reminded me of my mother. The idea in my mind  when I bought it  was that I would get my grandmother who lives in England to drink from it and return it to me. During one of my mother's visit to see my grandmother I gave the cup to her and explained the intention I had in mind. I was so excited about the fact that I would have this cup from my grandmother as I didn't have anything of real value that belonged to her. Well when my mother returned she gave me a stern message from my grandmother that she was keeping the cup hostage until I came to visit her.  At this time my grandmother was 96 or so. So I made a plan to go and visit my grandmother to retrieve my cup.
This cup was the catalyst for me purposing in my heart to fly to England for a 10 day trip to sit at the bed of my aging granny who was so full of life and vigor at 98 that I could not believe how old she was. We talked and prayed together, I gave her a bath and did her hair and we listened to the Christian radio station for hours.  She shared with me stories of our family,  my history, my heritage, and I could see so many things about her that I saw in me and also in my mother. Before I left to return to Canada I bowed my head before the matriarch of our family with tears in my eyes as she laid her hands on my head and spoke a blessing that I have treasured so much these past few years. We may not have had the ideal grandmother granddaughter relationship, and I may never get any material treasures from her. I may not have all the memories that many others received from their grandparents but this cup is a constant reminder to me that my grandma loves me and that I am her offspring and that I am blessed because of it. So today I decided rather than let it sit on the shelf another day collecting dust. That I too would sit and have a cup of tea out of the same cup that my granny drank from.  This is my cup of generational blessing.

No comments:

Post a Comment